Hello all! I am Joseph Ziegler, a systems engineer at Uber Technologies based in San Francisco, California. I've been living in the Bay area for around 4 years now and loving every minute of it.
Experienced IT professional with 7+ years experience working in the technical industry including experience in support, Linux administration, server automation, Windows, MacOS, ChromeOS, mobile devices, and TCP/IP networking. Experience supporting a large corporate-level infrastructure at a very fast-paced environment. I am able to support a large user-base, mostly under pressure, including campus-wide outages, working on several projects at once pertaining to services in the SRE and DevOps stack. Proven ability to drive projects on my own and having a positive impact on a company's infrastructure.
I am very interested in new technology, TCP/IP networking, system administration, and automation. I am ready to learn new things and to make a difference in the world with today's computer systems. My ambition is to utilize my diverse background and technical experience to make a positive impact on my future career and the world.
My passion is technology. Working in the technical industry is my dream and I do whatever I can to learn every single day and make a huge impact on the corporate infrastructure
* Owner of Corp Linux server authentication.
* Take ownership of implementation of larger applications, reachable by 4000+ engineers.
* Implement applications consisting of multiple web servers, load balancing, multiple databases, metrics, and monitoring using Puppet.
* Research and implement new services into our environment, eliminating time-consuming Puppet code modifications.
* Mentor employees on other teams in an effort to provide potential career growth and better understanding of the managed corporate services.
* Rewrite Puppet classes to scale with the growth of the server environment and to eliminate any potential manual configuration.
* Perform all duties of Systems Engineer I
Systems Engineer I on the Tech Services, Corp Site Reliability Engineering Team. Our mission is to ensure a durable approach to engineering for all corporate systems through proactive design, automation, and metrics.
* Promoted to Systems Engineer II
* Solve problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
* Configure and deploy applications in OneLogin.
* Deploy new applications created by software engineers into our corporate environment by configuring dedicated systems with Puppet Enterprise.
* Configure new and current Haproxy servers for load balancing and high availability for web nodes.
* Determine ways to improve our current Puppet code for future infrastructure growth and rewrite the Puppet code as necessary.
* Write custom Sensu checks and metrics for monitoring and alerting purposes.
* Administer internal systems including Puppet Enterprise, RabbitMQ, Sensu, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK stack), Grafana/Graphite, Redis, Kafka, Stash/Bitbucket, Bamboo, OneLogin, Jira, and Confluence (Atlassian Suite).
* Manage 1000+ nodes spread across Uber's global corporate infrastructure using Puppet, which includes Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and Windows operating systems. * Quickly manage systems using Fabric.
*Lead and coordinate the implementation of new services into the Corp infrastructure
Provided onsite, phone, email, and chat support for end user systems and applications.
* Promoted to Systems Engineer I on the Corp Site Reliability Engineering Team.
* Wrote weekly updates for the entire global service desk team which includes all important changes, updates, and critical information regarding services we supported.
* Set all time record with another colleague for the most amount of tickets completed in one workday.
* Began after work program to teach service desk team desired technologies for career growth.
* IT onboarding lead for all of Uber’s new fulltime employees weekly.
* Created and designed projects, which affected all service desk teams globally to help streamline our ability to resolve tickets more efficiently and help scale with the company growth.
* Wrote bash scripts to automate tedious processes for LDAP additions, deletions, and modifications.
* Wrote tools using Google's App Script to make processes more efficient.
* Won the Most Valuable Person award for 2015 on the global tier 2 team
Encountered all major desktop and mobile OS’s (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, Blackberry, etc) and a sophisticated userbase with technically challenging support cases. I supported Google employees directly and remotely, including support with Google's internal tools and applications. In this role, I also took on small to medium-sized IT projects, which impacted all Google campuses globally.
Managed the entire company infrastructure including servers, workstations, networking routers and switches, and a PBX phone system. I dealt with many operating systems including Windows (XP, Vista, 7 Server 2003, Server 2008), Mac (OS X Lion), and Linux (Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Mint, and Fedora). I also performed various tasks such as added/removed users and groups in Active Directory, installed new operating systems when necessary, maintained the backup system, and maintained networking equipment, if needed.